history

STANSTED HALL CRICKET CLUB (formally Burton End C.C)

 

A BRIEF HISTORY

 

1947 - Burton End C.C’s first match.  It was against Farnham and we were well beaten with Bernard Ellis taking 10 for 17.

 

The Burton End Ground

 

1948 - The club defeated High Roding in a two innings match, 49 – 43 and 48 – 45.

 - That year Duke Watson took 84 wickets for 318 runs in just 18 matches.

   

1957 - The first Club Annual Dinner was held at “The Ash”.

 

1962 - The Club defeated Bishop’s Stortford to win the inaugural Davies Cup final (below).

 

 

1964 - The Club changed its name from Burton End C.C to Stansted Hall C.C. 

          -  Archie Tucker took 9 – 23 against Takeley.

 

1965 - Edward Natley took 7 – 1 in 2.4 overs against Little Dunmow.

 

1967 - The Club lost to Clavering in the Davies Cup final.

 

1971 - The first tour to Norfolk.

 

1974 - After a telephone call from Eric Ward to Brian Thornton, we moved to the new ground at Stansted House.  The first match was on 28th April against a Robin Hobbs’ Essex XI, which included Ken McEwan, Keith Fletcher, Keith Boyce and a very young Graham Gooch.  Colin Cowdrey played as a guest for The Hall (below).

 

 

 

1975 - Percy Monk took 10 – 52 against a Business XI and lost!!!

 

1978 - The Club was defeated by Clavering in the Davies Cup final.

 

1980 - The Club joined forces with Stansted to play against a John Lever XI in his benefit year.

 

1985 - The Davies Cup final saw the Club beaten by Tye Green. 

 

1987 - High winds damaged the pavilion.

 

1990 - Chris Rulten took 9 – 47 against Bishop’s Stortford’s 2nd XI.

 

1991 - The Club lost the Davies Cup final against Thaxted.

 

1992 - The Club lost the Davies Cup final against White Roding.

 

1995 - At last a Davies Cup final was won.  David Brown led the team to a 7 wicket victory over Hockerill with Nigel Witherden claiming Man of the Macth in front of a large crowd.

 

The team that clinched the Davis Cup for Stansted Hall.

 

1996 - The Club entered the Herts and Essex Cricket League and finished fifth.  Also this year, David Mickelborough started the junior section, which has grown and flourished ever since.

 

1997 - The Fiftieth Anniversary celebrations include a match against an Old England XI.  Mike Holmes produces an excellent Anniversary booklet and money was raised designed for the Home Farm Trust and the Alzheimer’s Research Trust.

- Stansted and Stort Valley Rotary Club sponsor junior section.

 

2001 - Paul Dawson lead the Club to the HECL Championship. 

- Stewart Pimblett retired as Chairman after 25 successful years.

 

2002 - The Saturday Second Eleven was formed.

 

2003 - Jim Ward fiftieth celebrations.

          - F.M Alloys become main ball sponsor

 

2005 – The Club gained Clubmark and had another successful season on the pitch.

          - G.E Sworders become main club sponsor.

            - Stansted Hall Website Created.

2006 - 1st team finish 8th in Division 1
            - 2nd team finish 9th in Division 5 (but not relegated)


1st team 2007- (back row from left: Keefe, Maule, Williams, Glassbrook, Deehan, Bousfield, Curtis)
(front row from left: Aziz, Livings (c), Sandall, Jones)
click on a player for more info on them


2007-